Welcome! Log in or Sign Up!

Forums » CF Board » UPGRADING TRUCKMOUNT BLOWER

UPGRADING TRUCKMOUNT BLOWER

Subscribe to UPGRADING TRUCKMOUNT BLOWER 9 Posts, 8 voices

Icon_missing_medium DougThomas 0 Posts
I have a Prochem Performer that has alot of hours on it. The blower is strong and all is in good working condition. I love the machine but I could use a little more CFM. I don't want to increase the lift but the airflow. Is there an easy way to do an upgrade like this. Could I put the 405 blower in it...and what is the CFM Rating of the standard Performer.

Doug Thomas
Healthclean and Restoration

Icon_missing_medium LeeStockwell 0 Posts
I don't know the present rpm setting for your blower or its rated maximum. The quickest way to increase cfm would be to increase blower rpm, if it isn't running near max rpm already. Changing pulleys could be an easy way to tweak a little more airflow.
HOWEVER...I suspect your plumbing might not be free flowing somewhere. Check this out carefully first.

Thanks,
:Lee
vp fojl

Icon_missing_medium Bob Savage 0 Posts
Doug,

Lee is correct. Chances are good that the blower is not running at it's full rpm right now.

It does take more horsepower to turn the blower faster. If you currently have a warranty with the machine, any modifications such as this, may void that warranty.

A quick call to Prochem should give you the info on the blower rpm as it comes from the factory, which, as Lee said, is directly proportional to the cfm generated.

Remember there is a difference between what cfm a blower is capable of, and how it is set up in each machine. In a lot of advertisements for truckmounts, I find the stated power is what the blower is capable of, and not necessarily what it is installed at (rpm).

I have found that cfm is a lot more important in getting carpets to dry faster, than lift.

We run two wands all day long with mega power and no vac loss, even with a hose pulled from one wand and laid open on the floor using a #4 Roots blower.

I will have this machine with me at Summerfest if anyone is interested in learning how to tweak a truckmount.

Spending additional money on a bigger blower would really not be necessary when the one you have is likely to fill the bill. A new blower, bigger than yours, will run at least $1599.00.

Even some of the truckmounts that use two separate blowers and 2 separate recovery tanks, run with less rpm than mine using two wands.

PERFECTION Bob
f o j l

Icon_missing_thumb Anonymous
Thanks, Perfection Bob, for your comments. CFM is far more important than lift in drying. mine is set at 10" of lift, partially because an old man like can't move the wand if its set higher. And running two wands even on a #4 blower works quite well on my 15 year old HYDRAMASTER CDS.

Icon_missing_medium RonCurtis 0 Posts
I fully agree with Lee and Bob RPM and unobstructed
plumbing is the key.

Being a dual-wand kinda guy
myself, I can't wait to meet Bob and see his pride n' joy, it sounds great.
Ron
CMFOJL

Icon_missing_medium LarryCobb 0 Posts
Doug:
I wouldn't change that blower out. According to the specs I have from Sutorbilt, the blower you have is rated at 300 cfm, but more importantly it has a maximum lift of 14" of mercury versus the max of 12" on the high CFM version. What we are trying to achieve is maximum airflow through the wand which has a typical open area of about 3/4" diameter. If you can generate more lift at your wand you WILL have more airflow to pick up a greater percentage of solution from the carpet.
Another consequence of lowering maximum vacuum level is that more energy will be be wasted due to flow into the vacuum relief valve when the vacuum level gets within an inch or two of the max.
Larry Cobb R & D
Cobb Carpet Supply
1-800-634-2622

Icon_missing_medium EdValentine 5 Posts
Doug;

I also totally agree with both Lee Stockwell and Bob Savage on this one!
It definitely takes MORE energy to run any blower faster. I also learned this first hand way back in the early 70's when we were; at the time; developing an electric TM unit running a #3 Sutorbilt Blower.
Good explaination Lee and Bob!

Good Luck

Ed Valentine
cross-american.com

Icon_missing_medium DuaneOxley 0 Posts
Doug:

It's simple... have your blower rebuilt. As it ages, there is internal wear, and it pumps less C.F.M. Rebuilding it will remedy this.

Yes, you can speed it up by changing pulley ratios, assuming that there's enogh horse power to run it faster, but you will need to be extra- sure that the vacuum relief is set, in order to keepp it within lift tolerances. I strongly suggest that if you do this, you check engine RPM first. If it's at, say 3200 RPM's and the blower is rated at higher than 3200, then you're okay boosting it up to the blower's limit. Otherwise, the return on investment is questionable, given the shortened lifespan of an already old blower.

I'm not saying that overdriving the blower is necessarily bad... we do it on certain new systems that we make. It's just important from day one to be sure that all bases are covered, when this is done.

A new blower, well- taken care of, should last through several motors, so if there is any shortening of life span of the blower, it's best to start with a new one, calculate the reduction in that life span, and be sure that the reduction in span is worth the benefit in performance to you.

Duane Oxley
Advanced Cleaning Systems

Icon_missing_thumb Anonymous
Maximize what you have 1st.(you've probably already thought of these)
* Use the shortest possible vac hose.
* Check wand vac slot against manufacturer specs
to make sure it's ok.
* Are there filters that could be more effecient?
* Check pulley alignment.
Matt Taylor
Teddy Bear Carpet Care
F.O.J.L.

Forums » CF Board » UPGRADING TRUCKMOUNT BLOWER